City of Springfield
Balancing Design & Functionality
After working with the City of Springfield on a variety of projects including sub-branding and marketing for the Community Development department and various levy campaigns and microsites, we got the exciting opportunity to redesign their website. As we walked through a Discovery phase that included researching city and state government websites and interviewing representatives from every department, we concluded that providing a mixture of common sense organization, community-focused functionality, and attractive, modernizing aesthetics was the perfect solution.
- Assess site traffic analytics to understand community interactions and needs
- Discovery meetings with every department to understand site functionality needs
- Develop comprehensive sitemap and information architecture plan for new site
- Design mood board concepts to initiate a creative direction for the new site
- Incorporate SEO tags and descriptions into each page in the site structure
- Develop page layouts with images and content optimized for fast loading speeds
- Launch new site with unique features and functionality
- Train department contacts on updating the site and provide community with current information
New website sessions and the average session duration increased 25%, while bounced sessions decreased 60%, suggesting that the site has had a boost in new engagement and contains more relevant content in a site structure that is easier to navigate.
Average Session Duration Increase
New Session Increase
Bounced Session Decrease
“The City of Springfield’s website is the primary communication method between the City and its citizens. The website was in need of a major overhaul and the City was able to work with Holmes Marketing to develop a more robust, responsive, and effective website and communication tool for our community. Holmes’ marketing expertise has allowed the city to become more efficient and effective in communicating our message through the website. The best part about the website redevelopment was how we have been able to work with a local company that is there for us 24/7.”Bryan Heck